Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Homemaking

Manual 1- Lesson 7 Homemaking

This goes along with the "Homemaking is More than Housekeeping" Section

I bought some plastic tiaras at the party store. I also have some princess pencils I'm going to decorate with a star and some ribbon to make it into a magic wand. When they come in I'll have them put on the tiaras, hand them their wands, and ask them if they were going to create the perfect home for a queen, what would it be like?

What is the Lord's house, or the temple like? (very clean, beautiful, ornate, comfortable, decorated with flower arrangements and pictures of the Savior's life, everyone is kind and polite, a place where His Spirit can dwell.)

What do you want your home to be like?

Can it be like the temple? How so? (D&C 88:119-120)



I also remember hearing a talk given by Marjorie Hinkley, and I apologize I have not been able to find a reference for it, but she shared an experience she had while visiting a church member in Africa. She shared how she went into this modest hut and noticed that there on a shelf was a single flower in a little vase. She then went on to share that women have been given the gift and need to create beauty around them. I am a strong believer that each one of us has been given the gift to create in some way or another. Isn't that what God does? He creates things. I believe as our divine nature we choose to create in many various forms: art- in all of its forms, music, literature (i.e. blogging), scrap booking, jewelry making, decorating, graphic design, culinary arts, engineering, any kind of designing, gardening, fashion, the list goes on and on. Creating the home you want to live in can be part of that, whether it comes naturally to you or is a skill that you learn.

I just found this great talk that goes along with this lesson.

2 comments:

Something Marvellous said...

I'm teaching this lesson this week - thanks for sharing! I usually share my thoughts on a lesson on my blog too, feel free to stopy by anytime. I like your music widget!

mandy said...

Thank you so much for posting the link to the talk by Sister Tanner. It hit almost every point in the lesson in a way the talks and stories from the 70s (in the manual) just couldn't. :)