Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A few sweet sisters I know have been called to serve in their ward's young women lately. Since I prepare a lesson almost every week, I thought I'd start posting some of what I do. I'm all about sharing the labor and the love.

YW Lesson Manual 1- Lesson 6 Finding Joy in Our Divine Potential
This week I invited a sister to share her thoughts on Finding Joy in Our Divine Potential, as suggested by the manual. Here are some ideas I gave her to talk about.
  • Why it is a joy to be a woman.
  • Joys you have experienced from being a mother.
  • Joys you have experienced from having a celestial marriage.
  • Challenges you have faced as a women and how you deal with them.
  • Challenges you faced as a YW and how you overcame them.
  • Choices you have made that have kept you close to Heavenly Father.
  • Blessings that result from being close to Heavenly Father.
  • Joy's you have experienced in each stage of your life and what you still look forward to.
After she speaks for about 20 min. I'm opening the lesson up to discussion with the girls on the following questions:
  • What joy do you find in being a YW?
  • What things can you look forward to as you experience different stages of life?
  • What challenges do women face today?
  • What special gifts has Heavenly Father given us as women to overcome these challenges?
  • How can you magnify your beauty and calling as a daughter of God?
I'm taking the letter from the Young Women General Presidency that is in the lesson and printing it out on cute stationary and addressing one to each of the girls in the class.

A few good talks:
Daughters of God
The Sanctity of Womanhood
Women of Righteousness
Womanhood: The Highest Place of Honor

3 comments:

Niki McDowell said...

Just to add to your post, our second counselor taught this lesson on Sunday and had four different come and talk to the young women about the different stages in their life. She had a newlywed woman from our ward, a woman of young children, a woman with older children and then a women with grandchildren talk about their life and how the lord blesses them. I thought it was really neat. Anyways, I'm glad you started this blog. I've been in young womens for over a year and a half. I just got changed to the secretary, so I don't have to teach as much, but I still am excited to see your ideas. I have to teach the easter/atonement lesson in April, its not in the manual, but if you have any ideas, throw them my way!

Mindi B said...

What a great idea for a blog - I will definitely have to check it out and give a link to our Advisors. I just taught my first lesson last Sunday and it happened to be this lesson. I did what Niki said above and the three women that I had come in and speak were wonderful - I made sure that one of the women would bring the spiritual aspect, one would bring the everyday life aspect, and one would bring some humor. The girls loved it. It would have been really neat to do what you suggested - I loved all of your questions - that's the only problem with having 3 women come in, we totally ran out of time and could not ask many questions. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

elshmobelsh said...

It looks like our ward is a little behind from some wards so hopefully this will still be of help. Maybe all your great ideas will help me with my lessons! ;o)