Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lesson on Christ

Niki asked about a lesson on the Savior for Easter and I had an amazing experience last year teaching a lesson on the Atonement that I really felt guided through. So here are some of the ideas that came to me to share for my lesson.

First of all I would highly recommend the book, Believing Christ, by Stephen E. Robinson. He does an amazing job of making the Atonement attainable for each of us and in very understandable terms. I used his first few chapters about the dilemma we all face of achieving the command to be perfect and no unclean thing can enter the kingdom of heaven vs. every one of us is a sinner. He tells a beautiful story about his little boy getting into trouble and being sent to his room and then as a father and getting busy through the day he totally forgets to go get his little boy out of his room. His little boy hours later ventures out and asks "Can't we ever be friends again?" It just breaks your heart! But he shares the analogy that that is where each of us stands. We are each the sinner asking if we can ever make it back into our father's presence again. The parable of the bicycle is also in this book and what a great way for the girls to understand how the Savior makes up the difference where each of us falls short.

Another thing I used in the lesson was an object lesson I think I found on Mormonshare.com. I took a $20.00 bill and held it up and asked who wanted it. All the girls raised their hands. Then I wadded it up and then flattened it back out and asked who wanted it. They still raised their hands. Then I dropped it on the ground and stomped on it a few times, held it up and asked the same question. Of course they still wanted it. I shared how no matter what we experience in life, what we go through or what poor decisions we make, we still have the same value and worth to our Heavenly Father and he still wants us back.

One thing I felt very strongly about emphisizing is that Repentence isn't a bad word for vile sinners or things that need to be confessed to a bishop. Repentence is a beautiful process that we should experience everyday as we try to become better poeple and come closer to Christ. As we feel the cleansing power of the Spirit we know we are repenting and becoming better. We talked about ways we know we are feeling the Holy Spirit. My list is in the plan below.

I finished my lesson by giving the girls a copy of the song "I'm The One Who Writes My Own Story" from the musical by Lex De Azevedo "My Turn on Earth." I played the song for them and gave them each a pencil with an extra earaser topper to erase those mistakes through the Savior.

Last year's Ensign dedicated to Christ, I think it was the March issue, was also a great resource.

I didn't want to figure out the code on my lesson plan, so if you want a copy just let me know and I"ll email you one.




1 comment:

holley family said...

can i get a copy? holleyfamily@gmail.com
thanks,
noel